The epic tale of the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse Printmaking Program. The Printmaking program is directed by Joel Elgin and features the odd collection of the many PrintFools who enroll, print and exist from semester to semester in the Shop of Tears.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Horst JANSEN A hero for PrintFools of all levels!



Horst JANSEN
HOT1966008W02442/26
(PAR129925)
© Thomas Hoepker/Magnum Photos



Youall are going on a Field Trip to visit Horst.
First stop:
Art Institute of Chicago


Second stop:
Hermitage Museum


Fill your heads with that Drypoint you Baby PrintFools! 

Drollerei Kaltnadel
1991
Drypoint

All that color for you Adolescent Fools!

Eva Maria Lupfert
1992
Etching

And that content for you Big Kid Fools!
 
Horst Janssen, "Erostod"
Radierung Nr. 7


See You all at the PumpHouse, 9/12 at 5pm for the BeardedBaby and the ToxicAvenger Exhibit! 
 JE



 

12 comments:

good student said...

I like how dark some of the portraits felt to me, even his "whimsical" art. Horst's art is twisted and from what I saw he must have a crazy imagination. Really interesting to look at and study.

Allecia Kruser said...

very interesting.. some of the etchings make me feel almost uncomfortable. crazy to look at.

Nhouchee Yang said...

I can't wait to work with color and intaglio together. So exciting. Not gonna lie, I was a little too excited when I saw Field Trip...-crushed hopes- any who, those dry points though, they are pretty sweet.

Martin Meier said...

I feel like I have to turn my head sideways and stare for a bit to understand all of what I'm looking at in these prints. Nonetheless, they are very expressive and original.

Madline Thorn said...

I am so pumped for this class and glad I figured out the email thing now! I really like all the thin whispy lines the artist uses in his pieces.

Jenna Rosienski said...

I really thought those dry points were interesting and it looks really sweet, the lines are so thin! I also enjoyed looking at other pieces of Horst's work on that website. There was some really detailed prints on there!

Kyle Stokes said...

Wow. Such dark, expressive lines. Horst's work is truly fascinating.

Kyle Stokes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Anderson said...

Another inspiring german printmaker. My favorite is Erostod. The death of cupid. It really changes the tone of the piece when you understand the title.

Brynn said...

I'm especially smitten with the face etchings. There is so much intensity in their details.

Ben Kremer said...

horst jansen is stunning my worthless simple brain with a gorgeous demonstration of minimal transition of values that lends power to his intaglio compositions. I'm stoked about his aesthetic of an abstraction / characterization / exaggeration of a figure. it is inspiring.

schmebs31 said...

I really like the "Erostod" etching. The subtle hint of color is a nice touch as well. It's very eerie