The epic tale of the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse Printmaking Program. The Printmaking program is directed by Joel Elgin and features the odd collection of the many PrintFools who enroll, print and exist from semester to semester in the Shop of Tears.

Monday, September 01, 2008

Politics/Peace/Conflict

Zhou Lu "Taking Off "
"...Zhou Lu was born in December 1973 in Guiyang city, Guizhou province in the south of China. He graduated in 1997 from Tianjin Art College, Printmaking Department. From 2001 to 2002 he studied in Germany. He is currently vice professor at Guizhou Art College and vice secretary of Guizhou Printmaking Art Association... His style reflects an art trend in today's China art scene that is described as cynical realism. Cynical realism is a reaction to the political events after 1989 and the impact of the massive Westernization and all the madness and spiritual emptiness that came with this new era. Artists use the methods of irony and satire..."
(click here for more info)

Welcome back PrintFools. Time to "take off " on this years adventure. We will continue to celebrate the historical tradition of the loud mouth printmaker.

This is the semester of Politics/Peace/Conflict.

The plan will be to take full advantage of the crazed motion of the world around us by synthesizing the issues of politics, peace and conflict that either cloud or make our days bright. The semester will feature an
online exchange exhibit, some guest speakers including LaCrosse's own "hanging judge" Elliot Levine, and a shop exhibit/open house with a connection to the Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies.

If you are scared remember that as always you create your content in this shop. Politics, peace and conflict is broad enough for all of you to create unique and rich imagery and as always you will be fed a semester of printmakers designed to influence the hell out of you:


LISA BULAWSKY
The Dilemma Game #3, (Adolf Hitler)
etching and mixed media 12'' x 9'' 2003
Lisa Bulawsky teaches prints at the College and Graduate School of Art at Washington University. She is sometimes favorably linked to the " guerrilla- interventionist printmaking outlaws" Check the "hotplate" for the Cannonball dudes to learn more about the outlaws and click on Lisa's print to learn more about her.

Mary Farrell
On Justice/Vigilance, 2007
etching 5 3/4 x 4 1/2 inches

Mary Farrell is a Printmaking Professor at Gonzaga University/Spokane. Click her print for more and go to WorldPrintmakers for her image in a Peace Exhibit.

So plan as always on working your little butts to the bone. Big printmaker types please leave a comment and let the new crop of babies know what level of hell they have entered.

Slainte'
BPJ

26 comments:

libbyhansen said...

Oh wow, so anxious and happy to get back to the shop! Politics, Peace and Conflict - I have a feeling we are going to see some exceptional creations this semester. I invitingly welcome the focused drive for the semester.

Welcome to the seven levels of hell babies! I will do my best to not physically hurt you...because Joel said we can't touch the babies. Again, welcome and do not be frightened, you will love the "Shop of Love"!

Meagan said...

YAY! I can't wait to see everyone tomorrow, to be back in the shop of love! This will be a great focus for the semester! I can't wait to start pulling prints and see what everyone else will produce! I can't wait to see the next crop of babies! I really love the detailed etching by Mary Farrell. Her use of line really creates a great image.

DaniL said...

YES-politics, peace, and conflict-perfect timing. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of asskicking prints made this semester.

It was great to see the shop, and some of you all, again this morning! There are some faces I haven't seen in awhile. Exciting =) Babies-be prepared to venture into the unknown...muahahaha

See you tomorrow, monday/wednesday types!

Jumpy said...

Hellooo to all, I am so glad to be back and to start off my semester seeing some amazing artist with subjects full of meaning. Cant wait to see everyone tomorrow and i am looking forward to this semester being as difficult and a pain in the ass like always. Babies be ware, you are entering a whole new world of print.

ellen said...

It certainly was great to be back in the shop! I know that this semester is going to be amazing, and politics/peace/conflict provide excelent subjectmatter for everyone to base prints on.

zoe said...

I cant wait to start printing and eating snacks all the time. Before coming to class today the start of the semester was not exciting me at all, but now im ready to learn some new art stuff!

Also, today i learned all about blogging. What a way to start the year, huh?

Heather Lynn said...

Greetings from the windy city

Heather Lynn said...

Okay, just wanted to make sure my password was correct. Anyway....it is a sad day for me because I am not even in the same state as the magical print shop :(

Chicago is great but I am itching to be back printing and creating. I am planning a date in the fall to come print at Green Bay and am also planning to stop by the UWL print shop (of course) So until then....print like the wind everyone, I cannot wait to see what great art has been created. Peace/Love -Flunking Heather aka Spike

Lisa said...

ditto on all accounts...especially Danielle's "muahahaha".

can't wait to see what you will all print this semester!...I have a feeling its gonna be amazing!!

Babies...embrace this hell...its stinky & sweatie [and you will bleed a bit] but the tears will come at the right time and rinse away all traces of fear and bludgery...revealing a shop-0 of love-o that you will love-o a lot-o.

Incredible content-rich printmakers on the blog!!

lachness said...

good luck to all of you new printers!!! you have a lot of amazing people to get to know and printing to learn so take advantage of it all!! i miss you all, and come and visit me at the green bay studio if you get the chance!!

katelyn said...

I was really intrigued by the colors and patterns that Mary Farrell made. 'Rococo' really impressed me. I've never done pront making before so I am interested to see the process and try it out.

Kirk said...

I'm extremely excited to be back in the printshop with all of my sisters and yes, even the ogre. The theme of politics, peace and conflict will yield some powerful prints from this years group I'm sure.

Caitlin said...

welcome babies!

i'm happy to be back and start a new semester!

Mallory_Heesch said...

I sure am excited to get started with colored ink, and even more excited to get started with some fresh copper.

Back to school is STILL the same... me getting all geeked out over new supplies. Except instead of new crayons, glue, markers and construction paper, I'm getting excited to work with ink, copper and ACID (wait, what!???)

Keriann said...

All summer I have been pondering new things to create when the semester starts! I can't wait until we get our copper and can begin working! I think there are going to be a lot of great prints this semester!!

mao said...

I am so happy to be back in the printshop. Welcome all babies and get ready to sweat and bleed. Very interesting work by Zhou Lu, he definately made me feel unease when looking at his work.

Michelle said...

After all of my years here I have finally made my way into the print studio! I am excited to be a baby this semester in the shop of love! I'm anxious to learn the process and see what everyone comes up with for the topic of politics, peace, and conflict!

Sarah said...

Good morning t/th types! It was a pleasure meeting everyone of you on tuesday and i'm looking forward to today's class as well! Its going to be an exciting semester with the new focused theme!

Of the artists posted, Lisa Bukawsky's prints were especially striking to me. The image on the blog is so raw and simple and I appreciate that about it.

Bethany said...

I'm way excited to be back in the shop. This summer I thought a lot about social art and am really pumped about politics, peace and conflict.

Allison B said...

this looks like it shall be another interesting semester with the ogre. I have never done anything with printmaking before...and this class seems like it will be really esxciting! Can't wait to make my firstprint. YAY!

Mark K said...

Im excited to start doing some printing. Politics, Peace and Conflict sounds like it will be great to work with. I was a fan of Mary Farrell's work, especially her etching 'On Justice/Diffence of Opinion.'

Erica said...

WOW i cannot wait to be able to produce some amazing pieces (with the help of our experienced workers of course!) i love the Rococo work by Farrell. the colors are so vibrant and the perspective is intriguing!

Erin said...

I didn't at all expect to get a theme like this for the whole semester...didn't know there were themes! I'm super excited about all this! Especially the speakers! Woo!

Jewels said...

I'm excited to start making prints. I haven't had to much experience with print making, but I've saw what other people have done, or what they are working on and it has really impressed me! I can't wait to work in color, and actually get decent scrapings. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's new prints!

britt luecke said...

its great to be back in the print shop! i was missing it all summer...it is going to be so cool working with color!! I can't wait to begin creating things with our new copper!!

Michelle said...

I'm happy to say I am officially a printmaker! I etched my first dry point plate and made my first print! I am looking forward to making more this semester! =)